insert quippy title here

This used to just be a way to pass the time at a job where very little was expected of me and with very little oversight. Things are a little different now. I work in insurance and, well, I sort of hate it. Constantly. I'm not sure what that has to do with this blog, except that it is about to become the place where I spew the vitriole that has built up over the last year and a half. It's this or I burn the place down, and that sounds like fun, but I'm sure it would just be a hassle.

Name:
Location: La plus-ou-moins-belle province., Canada

I started this thing working at a job I loved, where I had nearly unlimited internet access and free time. I was basically paid to do nothing. Now I work for an insurance company. I just cried, just now.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Is this really the best time?

Kym has a cute habit. She's a thinker, you see. When an idea comes to her, she'll mull it over for a while before bringing it up to me. Sometimes, she'll be thinking about looking for a house, or maybe about what we should do this weekend. Or possibly how we'll be decorating Maeve's room. Naturally, she'll want to discuss these sorts of things with me, to see what I think.

But like I said, she's a thinker, and she likes to consider these things from all angles before bringing it up to me. Her normal method will be to think about it all evening, then bring it up just as I'm about to fall asleep, around quarter to midnight. Every night.

Now, a simple question of "Do you want a ride into work tomorrow?" is one thing. But she's not really into these simple, prosaic questions. No. She starts conversations. Example:

"You know, if we're going to go camping this summer, now would be the time to start thinking about it."

To which I would respond, "Mmyeahwellweelcallferrezzzrvayshns......"

"No dear, I don't mean for the honeymoon, I mean to go camping this summer, to just get out have a nice camping trip."

"Thasswuttiment."

"We don't need reservations for that!"

"If we want a camping spot, hon, yes, we have to reserve one, and soon." At this point, I'm starting to drift back to full consciousness.

"Yeah, well, I don't really want to go camping at one of those stupid sites. It's just a patch of hard gravelly ground; that's no fun. I want to really go camping in the woods, you know?"

Usually in these situations, now is about the time where I'll point out that this is a somewhat involved discussion to be having at midnight on a weekday.

"....... Fine." Followed by a slightly sullen silence. "Good night."

"G'nightdear."

Other themes have included catering for the wedding, college options for Maeve (who is not quite 2 years old), or, another popular one, my mother's lates blunder. And we must never forget, "you know what happened on 'Bones' this week?"

"G'nightdear."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home